Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Please continue to hold while our representatives assist other callers...

Sooooo, the stomach bug I thought I was over came back yesterday afternoon.  I'm back to the only 2 foods that don't make me feel awful:  chicken soup with some ramen-type noodles in it, and hard boiled eggs.  Oh - and apples.  It started on, Saturday?  I guess - I'd get hungry, eat something, and 20 minutes later my entire abdomen is cramping up.  Once it's digested in a few hours, I feel fine again, and the cycle repeats.  So that was Sat, and early Sun - then late Sun afternoon I felt fine and went to a family get together where I had potato and pasta salad and a sandwich and cake, and....lol, figuring it a send off before the hard work beginning on Monday.  Then Sunday night I had my last hurrah, some tuna noodle casserole, and felt fine.  Monday morning I felt fine, had my low carb breakfast and lunch and snack, and then in the afternoon after I had the snack in me for a bit that feeling came back again.  BLEH.  Around 5pm I started feeling crappy cold-type symptoms, so I'm pretty sure it's a virus.  Soooo, I'm going to stay on soup and the occasinal egg and apple for a couple days to let this virus work its way out of me, and when I'm back to normal, we'll git-r-dun. I was actually pretty psyched at how yesterday was going until I felt crappy. 

Here's what I managed before I started feeling bad again:
- 2 eggs over medium on a bed of baby spinach with a few bell pepper strips, 3 strawberries, and 3 slices of bacon.
- half an apple with 2Tbsp peanut butter
- 2 slices of ham in a couple romaine leaves with a little mayo, with a handful of baby carrots
- a handful of almonds
- a serving of cottage cheese

Then I started feeling crappy.  The plan for dinner was the steak/mushroom part of some stroganoff with a green beans and a big salad, and then a snack of hummus and carrots later on, but that did not come to pass. 
 
Basically, whenever I was hungry I reached for a small something of protein/fruit/veg and no grains.  It worked out pretty well.  The biggest thing was to get into the idea of adding veggies at breakfast, because I am programmed that breakfast=fruit.  About 3 bites in, my stomach and brain were yearning for some wheat toast to dip in those yolks, but it was OK without it.  Not nearly as tasty, but OK enough.  I suppose after this "induction" phase, I could have one slice of toast (instead of the usual THREE I would have with 2 eggs - 2 for each yolk and one to eat the whites with).  With the bread I use that would be 14 g carbs with 2 g  fiber and 3 g protein.

I think in the end, this is going to be fine, and really not too difficult.  I think I'll be totally OK with ONE slice of toast.....or 4 french fries instead of 25....or 3 forkfulls of pasta instead of a platefull.  I don't want to eliminate carbs completely, but I really, REALLY need to get a better handle on the portion sizes, and if I have to 'detox' for a couple weeks before bringing them back in slowly and in SMALL portions, then so be it.  Also on the list, no more soda.  I'm going to do my friend's trick of starting with juice + seltzer (which I've done before succesfully) and then slowly wean the portion of juice down until it's straight seltzer.  Then when I need that fizzy feeling with a burger or wings, I can have it without all the nonsense.

No comments:

Post a Comment